Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Inner Carrie Bradshaw

Even though not everyone enjoys it, everyone is a writer. Before you jump to correct me, think about it. Nearly every single person has written something in their lives. I’m not saying that everyone is a columnist, an author, or a poet. But everyone has experience with rhetoric writing. You may not consider writing a to-do list to yourself rhetoric writing, but a simple list contains all of the elements of rhetoric writing. Now if someone asked me if I was a writer, my first instinct would be to say no. When I hear the word “writer”, I imagine someone at a desk with a pencil in their mouth or an artsy girl in a coffee shop on her laptop writing to make money. But when I stop to think about it more, I realize I am in fact a writer. I write every day, whether it be a list, a Facebook post, my homework in my planner, or a tweet. Just because I am not getting paid for it or because it is not my occupation, does not mean that I’m not a writer.
In fact, I have always enjoyed writing. A particular strong point of my writing is my ability to make things sarcastic and humorous. I’ve been told that my writing is easy to read, and people often laugh when they read it. However my wit usually only occurs when I am writing about something I am passionate about and I am familiar with. Which brings me to one of my weaknesses as a writer; if I am not very interested in the topic, I have a hard time channeling the skills that I have when I am writing with enthusiasm. I am afraid that sometimes when writing academic papers, I sound like a textbook. There is also a part of my writing process that I consider both a strength and a weakness. I do not like people editing my writing. I know what you may say, constructive criticism is key when it comes to writing. But I am not very open to suggestion. This can sometimes be a disadvantage when say, a teacher tells me I should do a certain thing and I do not listen. However I think it is more of a strength. I am not saying that I am against any advice and will not comply to any suggestions. But when I get a gut feeling about the way something should be said or presented in my writing, I stick to it. No one can help you get out your thoughts as much as you can. I think that this principle helps me maintain my voice as a writer.
Even though I am not an English or journalism major, I sometimes feel the urge to write down my thoughts and stories. Particularly when I watch Sex and the City.
http://.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/6f3780d88e8eeaa2_carrie-bradshaw-mac2.jpg
I am hoping that this class and blog will help me channel my inner Carrie Bradshaw (both the writing aspect and the shoes). I am also inspired to write by one of my favorite movies about a young journalist touring with a band called Almost Famous. I love the way the main character does not stop until he gets an interview and all of the adventures his writing brings him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk0XnyrENrE

1 comment:

  1. A super fun post, Brooke!

    You most certainly do have a strong voice as a writer and a very clear sense of what you want to say. I like the conversational tone of your blog -- totally perfect for this assignment. And I agree: everyone IS a writer in one regard or another. And we all have strengths and weaknesses, just as Kurt Vonnegut or Edith Wharton does.

    I think it's always good to be open to suggestions, but I do agree you with you that if your gut is telling you something different, it's better to stick with your instincts. I think an important thing to remember is that we can't always please everyone and the same goes for our writing. So the most important thing we can do is the writing that we think is best. It's a hard balancing act, and no one ever perfects it, but it's good to be aware of how you receive and reject criticism.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete